Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Hornbill Project~ Trip to Pulau Ubin

Hi people!

Yesterday, I went to Pulau Ubin along with my teammates-Asfarina, Clenlin, Jun Wei, Rebecca, Wallace, Wenn Ler. And my teacher, Mdm Mindy Neo and an expert with birds, Mr Andrew. The trip was really wonderful and fun!

We listened to a talk about hornbills given by Mr Alan. His talk was very informative as we get to know and learn more about hornbills. I learnt that hornbills were actually in extinction for 138 years, and they were only found around 1994 in Pulau Ubin! So that means that they had been in extinction from about 1855 to 1993. And they just came out of nowhere. ^^

After that, we took a walk around Pulau Ubin, hoping to see at least a hornbill flying around, but too bad we didn't get to see it (it only came out after we left, I wonder whether were we that scary...?). But surprisingly, we got to see two snakes during the walk! Guess what, the first one we saw was so colourful that I thought that it was actually a rubber band for tying hair (whoops). The second one was bright green in colour. It camouflaged so well that I almost can't identify it! It actually looked like a vein with a leaf at the end (head of the snake). We also saw a female spider two to three times the size of a bee ( I guess?). With a male that is smaller than the female. o.O

Too bad, time flies quickly, and we went back to school right after that. I really wish to go there again to see and learn more about animals! Oh, and my email is : joyfuljoycie@hotmail.com So then, bye bye! ;)

Regards,
Joyce

1 comment: